FOUN 090 -49 LAB
21 Ideas for the 21st Century
1. Check out online syllabus.
2. Check these resources for your SIU
3. In her preface to the Death of Distance, Frances Cairncross
lists 30 ideas that she signals as the "Trendspotter's Guide to New
Communications." These are ideas that she explores later in the text
- but that we can look at and today explore in the context of an article
in the August 30, 1999 Business Week. In "21
Ideas for the 21st Century" the Business Week editors are
"offering 21 doors to the future and invite you to explore."
a. Begin your exploration by reading the introduction to the
Business Week article to see just what the authors are up to. Then
peruse through the ideas and find one or two that interest you. Try to link
a couple of the ideas you find interesting to those Cairncross presents.
As you explore these ideas and linkages, jot down the basic
ideas or conjectures.
- 1. How do they relate to those Cairncross makes?
- 2. How do you see these ideas influencing your future.
- 3. Do they seem like they may be like "walking on the
moon," or, "walking on Mars?"
b. Next, explore some of the links in the on-line version of
this article under "Online Originals."
- 1. Explain what these links add to your understanding of the
- 2. For a couple of these links, fill in and submit webforms.
- 3. Hand in the paragraphs or answers to these questions at
the end of the period.
There will be additional time later to rewrite and expand on