What can be done about acid mine drainage?
Mine drainage can be successfully treated by active chemical addition, such as in the Rausch Creek Treatment Facility located near Valley View and operated by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). However, this method has high building and maintenance costs.

In the past fifteen years, passive treatment methods have begun to be used to treat mine drainage. One of the most successful methods involves the use of limestone to reduce the acidity and ponds to collect the yellow boy. This method, while not cheap, is much less expensive than active treatment.

Return to SCRA Home Page